LABOUR TARGETS LATE NIGHT SHOPPERS IN CAMPAIGN TO SAVE SURE START

Helen Goodman & David KindneyThe campaign to Save Sure Start hit the streets of Newcastle upon Tyne on Thursday when two Government Ministers took Labour’s campaign to safeguard Sure Start children’s centres direct to late night shoppers.

Helen Goodman MP, Labour’s Work and Pensions Minister and David Kidney MP, Minister for Energy and Climate Change joined Labour’s Catherine McKinnell and Chi Onwurah to collect hundreds of signatures on a “Save Our Sure Start” petition at a street stall at Grey’s Monument.

This week, Labour is joining forces with families across England in a campaign to Save Our Sure Start children's centres from David Cameron's plans to cut their funding and prevent access to these valuable services for families on middle and modest incomes. 
 
Children's Secretary Ed Balls launched the campaign earlier this week as he welcomed the opening of the 3,500th Sure Start children's centre for parents and children across England.
The Tories would cut Sure Start from families on middle and modest incomes. Instead of the universal service Labour has created for all families, the Tories have said they would cut £200 million each year from the Sure Start budget - which could see one in five children's centres being forced to close. There are currently 17 Sure Starts in Newcastle upon Tyne, which could mean 3 children’s centres put at risk by the Tories.

Helen Goodman MP said;


“Sure Start is really the best investment in children that Labour has made over the past 12 years. It has made a huge difference to thousands of families across the country.”

Catherine McKinnell, Labour’s candidate for Newcastle North said;


“As a mum of young children I know how important our Sure Start children's centres are. They provide a fantastic service for parents across the City. The Tories plans to cut the budget for Sure Start will threaten some of our 17 children's centres and I'm determined to do all I can to protect them from cuts.”

Chi Onwurah, Labour’s candidate for Newcastle Central said;


“Over 11,000 families across Newcastle have access to Sure Start services. The Conservatives plans to restrict those services will have a real impact. Sure Start is about giving our young children the best start in life and its clear from people's reaction on the streets of Newcastle tonight that local people really value the service.”

Families are invited to show how much they value their Sure Start centre at a new website www.saveoursurestart.com.

ENDS